[HistoryUndergrads] First History Club Meeting + F20 Info

Michelle Spivey spiveym at uci.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:37:59 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

I hope you had a good first week into the Fall quarter. Here are several reminders.

History Club
The first meeting for the History Club is on Thursday, October 8, 3:00-4:00 PM. Come meet the club advisors, Professor Joan Malczewski and Professor Rasul Miller, and your fellow students! We will get to know everyone and talk about the upcoming activities. You can sign up for the meeting here:  https://uci.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAkdOmtqDgvGdSlrstwCwCqysml0ME85J7L.

Fall 20 P/NP Policies
Please visit the Humanities Undergraduate website for the P/NP policies and FAQs: https://www.humanities.uci.edu/undergrad/students/grade_opt_faq.php. You should talk with an academic counselor to see if the P/NP option is right for you before submitting the change. The deadline to change the grading option is WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25 at 5pm.

100W Open
If you need to take HIST 100W, BLCK WOMN&ARCHIVES taught by Professor Jessica Millward is still open. The deadline to add or drop courses in the School of Humanities is the end of week 2 (October 9) by 5:00PM.

  History   100W     BLCK WOMN&ARCHIVES      (Prerequisites<https://www.reg.uci.edu/cob/prrqcgi?term=202092&dept=HISTORY&action=view_by_term#100W>)
Code    Type    Sec     Units   Instructor      Time    Place   Final   Max     Enr     WL      Req     Rstr    Textbooks       Web     Status
26703   Sem     B       4       MILLWARD, J.    Tu   1:00- 3:50p        VRTL REMOTE     Fri, Dec 18, 4:00-6:00pm        18      7       0       24      A       Bookstore<http://uci.bncollege.com/>            OPEN

This course focuses on the major themes and frameworks employed by historians who write on African American Women's History. Topics we will explore include: African American women in Slavery; Black Feminist Theory; African American women and Black Power; violence against African American women; and African American women in the Era of Black Lives Matter. Prior enrollment in History, African American Studies and/or Women and Gender Studies courses are encouraged. History 100W fulfills the upper-division writing requirement for UCI and the historical writing requirement for the History Major. The requirements, set by the school and the department, are absolute.  Our goal in this class is to analyze how historians approach a topic, examine evidence, and create arguments. This means that we will be doing several short assignments, each of which will employ a different form of historical writing.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. Good luck with the new quarter!

Best,
Michelle

Michelle Spivey

Undergraduate Program Coordinator

Department of History

Phone: (949) 824-8248

Email: spiveym at uci.edu<mailto:spiveym at uci.edu>

[cid:200ae11e-de86-4782-a88c-3fe518fc6cd6]
<https://uci.edu/>