[HistoryUndergrads] Reminders+Great Opportunities

Michelle Spivey spiveym at uci.edu
Wed Feb 24 14:55:59 PST 2021

Dear All,

I hope you are doing well. I have several reminders and some great opportunities to share with you.

Upcoming History Club Meeting
The History Club will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, March 3 at 3:00PM (PST). We had agreed at our fall meeting that we would devote a meeting to an exploration of pandemics in history. We are delighted that Professor Nancy McLoughlin will join us to discuss the medieval plague (and perhaps inspire you to explore this topic in greater depth in the course that Professor McLoughlin will teach in the Spring quarter).

Professor McLoughlin has provided the following brief materials for the discussion:

  1.  Monica H. Green, “How a Microbe Becomes a Pandemic: A New Story of the Black Death,” Lancet Microbe 1, no. 8 (December 2020), e311-e312, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30176-2/fulltext
  2.  16 Dec 2020: Monica H. Green interviewed for AHR Interviews by John McNeill, https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/ahrinterview/id/17189288
  3.  From the Editor’s Desk: Journal of the Plague Year, The American Historical Review, Volume 125, Issue 5, December 2020, Pages xvi–xix, https://doi.org/10.1093/ahr/rhaa523

Sign up for the meeting here: https://uci.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAqcuisrDoqHtBJUZcxo9uhf9l0-f_saDmN. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Evaluations for History Courses Now Open
You can access all your evaluations here: https://evaluations.eee.uci.edu/assigned/action_list. Courses offered by other departments might be available on a later date.

Spring 21 100W and 190
We didn't add the major restrictions for 100W and 190 courses this quarter to ensure the courses get enough enrollment. Some of the courses are filling up. Please remember to enroll when your window opens if you need these courses for your major requirements.

LUCID Call for Submission
Lucid, UCI's journal of writing by first-gen is currently accepting submissions. Submissions close on 3/1, and more details about our theme and how to submit can be found at https://sites.uci.edu/lucid/theme-prompt-and-guide/. You can also find more information in the attached pdf.

UC Davis Study Abroad Virtual Summer Internships
UC Davis Study Abroad! Their in-person programs were cancelled for the summer, but they are still offering 13 virtual internships worldwide. Please see information attached.

Please do not hesitate if you have any questions.

Best,
Michelle

Michelle Spivey

Undergraduate Program Coordinator