[HistoryUndergrads] Upcoming Events and Opportunities

Michelle Spivey spiveym at uci.edu
Mon Oct 4 16:29:32 PDT 2021

Dear All,

I hope your first week went well! Don't forget that the add/drop deadline is 5PM this Friday if you need to make any changes to your schedule. There are a lot of events and opportunities at the beginning of the academic year, so this is a slightly longer digest. I hope you can find something that interests you!

Best,
Michelle

Upcoming Events
History Club - Movie + Discussions
Thursday, October 14, 3:30-5:30 PM (KH 200E)
Come join us for a movie watch party with a great movie and pizza! We are going to watch Grave of the Fireflies (1988)<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPeTSRd580> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTf_o4hEUYg> and have a short discussion about the movie afterwards.
RSVP: https://forms.gle/P3ATNnQkKRrqAVC26

Iranian Literature after the Islamic Revolution: Production and Circulation in Iran and the World<https://www.humanities.uci.edu/SOH/calendar/event_details.php?eid=9245>
Monday, October 4, 5:00-6:30 PM (Zoom)
RSVP: https://uci.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_25-_iqg5RU2D__4ben_66w

Yellow Jazz Black Music: A Conversation with Dr Marketus Presswood<https://www.humanities.uci.edu/SOH/calendar/event_details.php?eid=9334>
Tuesday, October 12, 2:00-3:00 PM (Zoom)
RSVP: https://uci.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jaT1Pa7NTsKBtWyfEp8log

"Indigenous Perspectives of Genocide: The Committee of Peasant Unity (CUC) and the Survival of Indigenous People during the Guatemalan Armed Conflict, 1978-1992." by Heider Tun Tun (Firm Rock), ACLS Emerging Voices Postdoctoral Fellow<https://www.humanities.uci.edu/SOH/calendar/event_details.php?eid=9299>
Tuesday, October 12, 4:00-6:00 PM (Zoom)
RSVP: Email lasc at uci.edu

Becoming Citizens: Identity, Historical Memory, and the Myth of Afro-Mexicans' Disappearance<https://www.humanities.uci.edu/SOH/calendar/event_details.php?eid=9315>
Tuesday, October 26, 4:00-5:30 PM (Zoom)
RSVP: https://uci.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Su7VYE8nT_20En7EQEXCnw

"Age of Rogues: Rebels, Revolutionaries, and Racketeers at the Frontiers of Empires" Panel Discussion<https://www.humanities.uci.edu/SOH/calendar/event_details.php?eid=9338>
Wednesday, October 27, 9:30-11:00 AM (Zoom)
RSVP: https://uci.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_dUrWMUprQC2Jqu_5NYHjJA

Opportunities
National COVID-19 Oral History Project
The National Humanities Center<https://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/>, in partnership with UCI, is pleased to invite you to participate in a national COVID-19 Oral History Project. This initiative connects student interviewers with healthcare professionals in their region in order to capture and preserve the experiences of a unique time in our medical and social history.

The COVID-19 Oral History Project will provide you with training and is designed to work around your schedule as students. You will have options regarding the time of year when you engage (virtually) with the training materials and regarding the number of interviews you conduct. Mentors from the National Humanities Center will be readily available to provide intellectual and methodological guidance throughout your involvement with the project. You will receive a certificate indicating your role in the project upon completion, and with the help of Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Shapiro, we are also currently investigating the possibility of giving you transcript credit for participating in the oral history project as a medical humanities elective.

We invite you to contact Jacqueline Kellish, Director, (jkellish at nationalhumanitiescenter.org) and Jane McGrail (jmcgrail at nationalhumanitiescenter.org) at the National Humanities Center<https://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/> with any questions or to express your interest.

UC Survivors + Allies Survey
Please take 20 minutes to help a student-led research project and enter a raffle to win $25! Your anonymous survey response will help us advocate for improved policies at the UC-level. To participate, the link to the anonymous survey is: www.tinyurl.com/ucsurveyforsafety<http://www.tinyurl.com/ucsurveyforsafety>

Here's some information about the IRB-approved survey:

You are eligible to take the survey if you are UC-affiliated (i.e., students, faculty, staff) and 18 years or older.
Survey responses are anonymous and there are no force-response questions.
The online survey takes 20 minutes and is voluntary.
You will have the chance to enter a draw to win a $25 gift card (50 prizes!).
As some background, UC
Survivors + Allies is a UC-wide student organization that advocates to improve policies and funding for and
with victim-survivors of sexual violence.

This research project will inform our advocacy projects to make a safer campus for all UC community members as well as
to better support victim-survivors. If you have any questions, please contact one of the study leaders, Sara Wilf at swilf at ucla.edu.

Swarthmore Undergraduate History Journal - Call for Submissions
The Swarthmore Undergraduate History Journal is now accepting submissions for its Fall/Winter 2021 issue! The aim of the journal is to allow undergraduate students the opportunity to engage with the academic publication process, and to share a wide range of historical narratives with our readers.

The submission deadline is November 7, 2021. Please visit their website<https://works.swarthmore.edu/suhj/> for more information on the guidelines and submissions process. If you have any questions, feel free to email swarthmorehistoryjournal at swarthmore.edu.

Michelle Spivey

Undergraduate Program Coordinator

Department of History

Phone: (949) 824-8248