[HistoryUndergrads] HIS 193/194--Advanced Research Seminars

Michelle Spivey spiveym at uci.edu
Tue Nov 9 11:47:21 PST 2021

Dear History Students:

I hope everyone is safe and well and having a great quarter. I am writing to encourage you to submit an application to take HIS 193/194--Advanced Research Seminars I & 2 in History. There is still time left to submit your application at https://forms.gle/uuX96FLukHk4ZZG27 (which only takes a few minutes)! I will be teaching this two-course sequence in the upcoming Winter and Spring 2022 quarters, and there are still a few spots available, so please act now!

For those who are unfamiliar with this course sequence, HIS 193/194 is a "capstone" course for upper-division History majors and non-History majors with a strong interest in history. The course allows you to learn firsthand about historical research methods and complete an original research and writing project under my careful supervision. It's really a wonderful course for those who are serious about doing original research and writing. In the past, many students have used their final papers (students have wide latitude to choose their own topics!) as a writing sample for graduate school applications. It is also important to note that given our current COVID situation, I am open to a number of different projects and research methods (including digital only research). In other words, students will not be required to visit archives in person to conduct their research. Our primary goal, as always, is to keep everyone safe!

The winter iteration of the class is scheduled to meet on Tuesdays/Thursdays from 9:30-10:50 am.<webextlink://The%20winter%20iteration%20of%20the%20class%20is%20scheduled%20to%20meet%20on%20Tuesdays/Thursdays%20from%209:30-10:50%20am.> However, class will often meet just once per week to allow students time to conduct their independent research. In fact, the bulk of students' time over these two quarters will be spent working independently on research projects. Accordingly, the required reading load for the course is very light!

If you are interested in taking part in this exciting and rewarding course sequence, please submit an application ASAP at https://forms.gle/uuX96FLukHk4ZZG27 and contact our undergraduate program coordinator Michelle Spivey (spiveym at uci.edu<mailto:spiveym at uci.edu>). Also, if you have any questions about the course, please do not hesitate to reach out to me (highsmia at uci.edu<mailto:highsmia at uci.edu>) or Michelle directly. I look forward to seeing some of you this winter.

Sincerely,

Andrew R. Highsmith
Associate Professor of History
UC, Irvine