[OIT-Colocation] Friday 9/2 UPS Failure and 9/17 Planned Power Outage

Allen Schiano schiano at uci.edu
Tue Sep 6 14:54:59 PDT 2011

OIT ADC Co-location Users

Last Friday night at approximately 7:30 PM we lost power to the
co-located computers in the OIT Academic Data Center in Engineering
Gateway.  After some initial tests of the system, it was determined that
the UPS that provides emergency power capacity for these computers was
malfunctioning.  We do not know if a power disturbance or other
environmental problem caused the UPS to fail.  Normal power was restored
to the computers not long after the initial disruption and continues to
power these systems without a UPS.  We are scheduled to have the UPS
inspected and a repair plan defined by Thursday of this week.  We hope
that full operation of the UPS may occur not long after that visit.
We're sorry for the inconvenience this outage caused to you and  the
operation of your computers in the ADC.

At the same time, I'd like to notify you that we will have another -
this time planned - power outage to your systems in the ADC on Saturday
Sept. 17 from 9 AM to 1 PM.  Campus electricians have to repair a
critical electrical system located in the Engineering Quad area of
campus.  Many buildings in the area will be affected.  This date and
time we're chosen for this repair to minimize the effect of the outage
on overall campus operations.  This outage will cause your systems to
lose power by 9 AM that day.  We would suggest that you plan a power
shutdown of these systems the night before.

If you have any questions to comments, please contact me.

Allen Schiano
Director, Academic Services
Office of Information Technology
UCI